Saturday, February 7, 2009

GIMP


Boy this was fun! It took me hours........and I mean hours totaling into days. But at least it was fun and I really learned alot. If it weren't for Dr. Lowell's help, I don't know if I ever would have figured it out. But once I did, I made several of these types of pictures, so that I wouldn't forget how to do it because I would really like to use this in the classroom. This would be a wonderful way to teach children new words.
To create this image, I opened up my original picture, then I typed my font. I then went up into image and clicked on "select by color" and when I clicked on the word it made a border for me. Over in the layers box, I clicked on my original quilt picture (layer) again and pressed control-c for copy, then control-v for past. Then I created a new layer. Last, I clicked on the eyes to hide all the layers except the last one. To get the background color, I had to go over and click on the left box where it has two boxes with a switch arrow between them. I found out that I had to make sure the color was already on there because I couldn't figure out how to do it once I did all the other steps. That part is tricky, I think I just got lucky on that. When I was done, I just went up and saved my picture on "save as."
As I said, this assignment for me was very long and time consuming. I have sat on the couch with my laptop for the past two days plus this morning trying to figure it out. But I really think figured out what Dr. Lowell was trying to do, because what seemed to be a simple assignment took a lot of digging to figure out, and in the process I learned alot of other things you can do with the program. So for me, it was worth it. I don't mind spending time on things I enjoy, and this was like a puzzle for me I could not put down. So it kept me interested (obsessed more the word) and it is something I feel will definitely be of use to me as a teacher.
I chose the font because it was big of course, but discovered other interesting fonts I would like to try......some kid friendly fonts. I love quilts, and I felt like this picture, like some on other blogs I have seen, definitely goes with the theme of the cold weather lately. Hope you enjoyed my picture as much as I enjoyed some of yours. :)

4 Comments:

At February 7, 2009 at 9:20 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love it! You did a nice job! Good work!

 
At February 7, 2009 at 10:57 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

I like the font that you selected. The Q is really cool looking. I like your idea about using this program to create images of words for students. I could use it in fifth grade to help students understand the meaning of a word, and I could use it to help my four year-old learn how to read new words. That is pretty cool!

 
At February 9, 2009 at 1:44 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I used GIMP to create my picture, as well. However, I used a different process. I think I am going to try it your way and see the differences in the outcome. I created a new pattern instead of using the layers. Thank you for posting your process.

I really like the use of the bock lettering in your text. It goes well with the idea of a quilt-because quilts are all about squares and patterns.

 
At February 13, 2009 at 7:38 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

I know it takes a lot of time to learn the tweaks of new software but just hang in there. Your picture looks great! I wonder if there would be any difference if you used a color that matched well but was not part of the quilt. Just curious. Again, good job on the picture.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home